Formal Introduction

Catherine Yau

Professor Killebrew

ENGL 21003

February 3, 2021

Interest in Science

Hi, my name is Catherine Yau. I am a freshman attending City College of New York, and I am majoring in biology. I was first interested in science in the fifth grade. My teacher taught us about climate change by assigning the class to read a book called, An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore. After reading this book, it has educated me on the environmental issues caused by human activities and what necessary steps humans can take to prevent climate change in the future. I noticed more people speaking on this topic because we are experiencing an environmental crisis that needs to be resolved before it worsens.

I’ve studied science in elementary school, but my interest in science grew over the years in high school because I was not restricted from researching topics that piqued my interest. I enjoy writing about controversial scientific topics, such as climate change, because many perspectives are unique and interesting that contribute to the scientific field. 

One day, I hope I can impact the science community positively by writing research papers on different topics I find necessary to speak on, so people can be educated on important topics/issues through my work. My goal is to influence my peers and those who encounter my research papers to continue sharing their knowledge with their friends, family, or those around them, so we can all become scientifically literate. In a world with scientifically literate people, we may have an advantage in combating the many challenges we face in today’s society.

For this semester, I am aiming to become an efficient researcher and writer. I enjoy writing, and I hope to become more confident in writing after this semester by learning different styles and techniques. I will accomplish my goal by attending all of the lectures, completing the assignments assigned for this class, and improving on my writing in each writing assignment.

Sincerely,

Catherine Yau